We conduct the following coached sessions (all at the Aubigny Centre in Haddington):
- Swimming – every Saturday 4.30pm – 5:30pm
- Open Water Swiumming (uncoached) – during the summer at FoxLake or Gullane
- Cycling spin/turbo – every Wednesday 8:30pm – 9:30pm (from Dec/Jan till Sept)
- Running – ad-hoc sessions – always start with a technique/drill based warmup
- Transitions – ad-hoc sessions during race season
We have a Triathlon Scotland Level 2 and coach who coaches most of the sessions.
We also recommend/attend the following non club organised activities:
- Cycling (with Haddington Cycle Club)
– Sunday club ride (need to average 14mph or greater)
– Summer weekly Time Trials
For more information on the above see below.
The training is geared around having athletes in their best condition for the summer months, which is triathlon race season. A rough idea of the calendar is:
Oct-Dec is when we focus more on technique, so late October or early November is the best time to join the club.
Jan-Mar is when we focus on things like endurance, strength
April onwards things get more race specific and more time spent working at threshold. Its also the time when we conduct skills sessions such as transition practice.
Swimming takes place from 4.30 until 5.30pm on Saturdays at the Aubigny Centre, Haddington. The whole pool is dedicated to the club during this time with swimmers placed in a lane according to their speed and ability. We use club equipment (paddles, pull buoys, fins to name but a few!) and plenty of drills to improve technique and endurance.
We follow the Triathlon Scotland approved www.swimsooth.com approach to our swim training. Occasionally we post some of the sessions or tips on our Facebook page.
North Berwick Swimming Club have a teenager and adult swim session on Wednesdays from 8:30-9:30, for further information view www.northberwickswimmingclub.co.uk
During the summer months members meet at Gullane beach or Foxlake (for their swim sessions that are open to the general public).
All Tri Club swimmers are also welcomed at The Mercait Gate Centre, Prestonpans for the Masters Club Swim session on Mondays from 8pm. There are three lanes for swimmers and coaching is given on all the strokes, tumble turns and much more. (There is a small separate membership fee involved.)
Coached weekly turbo/spin session at Aubigny Centre from 8:30pm to 9:30pm.
10 and 25 mile Time Trials are held in conjunction with Haddington Cycle Club in the the summer months on 1st and 3rd Tuesday of month. They start at 7pm sharp at Corn Exchange in Haddington. Be there already warmed up! This enables members to work on their speed in a friendly, competitive environment.
Tri Club members are welcome to join one of the cycling groups leaving from:
- Haddington Corn Exchange at 9am. http://www.haddingtoncycleclub.co.uk/
- North Berwick at 8am and 9am every Sunday morning. 8am is the faster group. The 9am group usually involves a cafe stop. The meeting point is at the corner of Law Road and the High Street.
Club un sessions are held by the club coach at various times through the year on an ad-hoc basis.
Another (non club) run session is at 6.30pm at Meadowmill Sports Centre, Prestonpans. Coached by Tom of Haddington Running Club, the sessions include drills, sprints, relays, and pyramids. The sessions take place on and around the rugby pitch enabling runners of all abilities to develop their running fitness whilst training together in a safe, friendly environment.